FUNDAMENTALS OF CREATING AND MANAGING DIGITAL COLLECTIONS
February 1-3, 2021 * Online Training Conference
REGISTRATION IS CURRENTLY FULL
If you register now, you will be added to the waitlist.
Back by Popular Demand!
We had such high interest in the sold-out October 2020 Online Digital Directions, that we are offering it again this winter.
Join us for a comprehensive overview of digital preservation, presented by information professionals with deep experience in the preservation of cultural heritage materials. During three half-days of live, interactive, online training, you will learn about good practices and practical strategies for creating and managing digital collections, and you’ll gain confidence in decision-making for the preservation of your digital assets.
- standards and specifications for both digitization and digital preservation
- selection for digitization
- special considerations for audiovisual and born-digital materials
- digital storage
- working with collaborative or consortial organizations
The program will introduce you to free resources and tools you can use for digital preservation, and you’ll have the opportunity to connect via small group discussions with peers who face similar challenges. Participants will develop a clearer understanding of the next steps they should take to strengthen their organization’s digital preservation program.
What to Expect
- The total number of registrants for Digital Directions is limited to 125 to ensure that each participant has opportunities to interact with both faculty and attendees.
- Each livestreamed presentation is 45-60 minutes and is followed by 15-30 minutes of audio/video-enabled Q&A with the presenter.
- Registrants will have access to all presentation sessions and to selected breakout groups during the conference as well as on-demand access for one month afterward (through March 3rd).
- Digital Directions faculty members and NEDCC staff members will serve as facilitators for breakout sessions.
- See the Logistics page for more information about conference access.
Who Should Attend?
Are you just getting started in digitization and digital preservation? Trying to bring several digital projects together into a cohesive digital preservation program? Or are you well into a digital collections project and need a refresher on the latest standards and best practices?
The Digital Directions conference is geared toward professionals working with digital collections at archives, libraries, museums, historical organizations, government agencies, corporate archives, and other organizations that steward digital collections. Students are also welcome, and a discounted registration rate is available.
Participant Comments from the October 2020 Digital Directions conference:
- This is one of the BEST conferences I have ever attended. Period.
- I am relatively new to addressing issues and planning for digital preservation. It was very helpful to get a broad overview of many key elements and then have resources to follow up with later.
- I came into the conference looking for a crash-course of sorts in general digitization practices, concepts, and resources. I was lacking the vocabulary and knowledge to be able to even help our members find the questions they need to ask. This conference was full of exactly the kind of information I was hoping for and I'm so glad to have attended.
- I've been working on developing our digital preservation program but have been hesitant to jump in because I'm scared of making mistakes. This conference helped me see the breakdown of steps I need to take to get started and iterate as I go. I'm extremely glad I attended!
- This conference helped me tie together a lot of disparate knowledge and thoughts I have around digital preservation and digitization. It will help me advocate for institutional investment in reviving our digital preservation program and digitization lab. It will help be better communicate with our IT department and other stakeholders regarding the importance of digital preservation for upholding our mission and values.
- It's so important to connect with others in the industry and hear about each other's workflows, tools, and procedures. This can save us time, effort, and in some cases years of work because we may find quick solutions and garner support from each other. Thank you!
- This conference was one of the better conferences I have attended top to bottom. If I am given the opportunity, I would happily attend another NEDCC conference in the future. Thank you!
TO LEARN MORE about the Digital Directions program, view the 2021 Agenda.
JOIN the NEDCC E-News List to receive updates on the conference.