REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!
April 6-7, 2020
FUNDAMENTALS OF CREATING AND MANAGING DIGITAL COLLECTIONS
Join us in beautiful Tucson, Arizona, for a comprehensive overview of digital preservation, presented by information professionals with deep experience in the preservation of cultural heritage materials. During the two-day training, you will learn about good practices and practical strategies for creating and managing digital collections, and you’ll gain confidence in decision-making for the preservation of your digital assets.
- standards and specifications for both digitization and digital preservation
- selection for digitization
- special considerations for audiovisual and born-digital materials
- digital storage
- working with vendors and collaborative or consortial organizations
The program will introduce you to free resources and tools you can use for digital preservation, and you’ll make lasting connections with peers who face similar challenges. Participants return to their institutions with a clearer understanding of the next steps they should take to strengthen their organization’s digital preservation program.
Who Should Attend?
Are you just getting started in digitization and digital preservation? Trying to bring several digital projects together into a cohesive digital preservation program? Or are you well into a digital collections project and need a refresher on the latest standards and best practices?
The Digital Directions conference is geared toward professionals working with digital collections at archives, libraries, museums, historical organizations, government agencies, corporate archives, and other organizations that steward digital collections. Students are also welcome, and a discounted registration rate is available.
Past Participants Comment on Digital Directions:
- I now feel a lot more confident in how & what to digitize and where to store the copies after attending this conference. The many resources linked out within the presentations is awesome and I appreciate those being provided. Thank you!
- Prior to coming to the conference, I knew this was something I needed to do for my organization. However, I was overwhelmed with even where to begin. I would look at resources and think: "This is good, but I need to start at the very beginning. What does that look like?" The conference provided me with information and resources that allowed me to better process where my organization is with this and where we need to go.
- This conference filled in some holes in my knowledge and gave me good resources to look into. Things I plan on doing because of this conference: watch the digital POWRR webinars, create an inventory of our digital collections, ensure my policies and procedures are up to date, talk to my boss about what level of digital preservation is my responsibility and learn more about it, see if the department has a mission statement and collection development policy and if not, remedy that.
- One of the most important benefits of attending Digital Directions was networking and making / maintaining connections with other institutions / organizations that also have large digital collections that they manage.
TO LEARN MORE about the Digital Directions program, view the 2019 Agenda.
JOIN the NEDCC E-News List to receive updates on the conference.