NEDCC offers different types of assessments to evaluate collections. Assessment reports can be used to support fundraising efforts and grant applications. Traditionally, assessments include an on-site visit; however, we now offer remote options and other alternatives to meet the goals of each project.
- Preservation Assessments (including Pre-Assessments and Community-Based Assessments)
- Digital Preservation Assessments
- Collection-Level and Item-Level Assessments (including paper-based, bound, photographic and film-based materials, and audio collections.)
- Collections Assessments for Preservation (CAP) for Museums (general conservation assessments)
Visit “Working with Preservation Assessments” and “Working with Collection Assessments” for a description of the assessment timeline and instructions on how to request a proposal. Or Download the Assessment Fact Sheet, a printable version of the information to present to administration or your planning team.
NEDCC Conservators and Preservation Specialists provide consultation services on many conservation and preservation issues. Some of the most popular include:
- new building or renovation projects
- disaster planning
- environmental management
- collection storage and housing
- exhibit practices
- digital collections policy development, etc.
Please call the Center to discuss a customized consultation.
In addition, NEDCC's Outreach Conservator provides informal consultations free of charge. These visits are two hours or less and can be conducted in person (when possible) or via video conference.
An Outreach Consultation is right for you if you:
- have a conservation question about a specific item in your collection
- want a brainstorming partner about conservation projects
- need general conservation and collections advice
Sources of Funding
Funding for collection and preservation assessments is available from a variety of state and federal funding agencies. Visit NEDCC's Funding Sources for more information and deadlines.
How can an assessment benefit your collection?
For Information about Preservation Assessments:
Ann Marie Willer
Director of Preservation Services
(978) 470-1010 ext. 223
For Information about Collection-level or Item-level Assessments:
Director of Paper and Photograph Conservation
(978) 470-1010 ext. 228
Director of Book Conservation
(978) 470-1010 ext. 234
Director of Audio Preservation Services
(978) 470-1010 ext. 237
For Information about Outreach Consultations:
(978) 470-1010 ext. 249
Follow NEDCC Stories
Stories about some of NEDCC's most interesting conservation, digitization, audio preservation, and other preservation projects. Read in-depth descriptions of the processes and view detailed photo galleries of collections from cultural institutions, large and small, across the nation. NEDCC Stories