Skip to Content

Vital Records Replacement

If you lose important personal documents and records, the listings below may help you obtain replacements.

To Replace: 

Go To:

Vital Records  
(Birth, Death, Marriage, Divorce) (by state or territory) or the official (.gov) Public Health website for your state

Social Security Cards

Immigration Records

Drivers’ Licenses and Auto Registrations


 Military Records
 Mortgage Papers Your lending institution

 Property Deeds     The recorder’s office in the county where the property is located

 Insurance Policies  Your insurance company

Copy of Your Tax Return     Call the nearest IRS office; request form 4506. To find your local IRS office, go to

Savings Bonds/Notes (Claim for Lost, Stolen or Destroyed U.S. Savings Bonds)

Credit Cards         American Express   1-800-528-4800

Discover                   1-800-347-2683
MasterCard              1-800-627-8372
Visa                           1-800-847-2911