Granting agencies vary by state, but grant programs for preservation and conservation initiatives are frequently managed by the state library, archives, Department of Education, or Department of Cultural Resources. Regional organizations (such as local heritage networks) may also also provide this funding, as well as foundations across the country. Below is a helpful list of funding organizations. Be sure to check their grant deadlines.
NEDCC can help plan and carry out these grant-funded activities, and can offer advice on planning proposals.
To begin a conversation about working with NEDCC on a grant project, contact:
[email protected], call 978-470-1010, or visit our Staff Pages for direct contacts.
On this page - go to:
OTHER FUNDING SOURCES
- California Natural Resources Agency - California Museum Grant Program
- California Revealed - Digitization and Preservation Assistance | Award supports the digitization of collections that are significant to California history.
- California Office of Emergency Services - CA State Nonprofit Security Grant Program | Award provides funding for physical security at nonprofit organizations that are at high risk for violent attacks due to ideology, beliefs, or mission.
- Historical Records Reg-Grant Program
- Connecticut State Library - Historic Documents Preservation Grant Program
Deadline: Cycle 1 (April 30, 2022) OR Cycle 2 (Sept 30, 2022)
Eligible activities include preservation assessments, reformatting, or conservation.
- Conservation ConneCTion - Collections Assessment Grant
Deadline: Oct 11, 2022
Eligible activities include providing small and mid-sized museums with a free assessment of their museum and archive collections.
- GA Archives - Historical Records Preservation Grant
- IL State Archives - Historical Records Grant Program
- Historical Resource Development Grant
Eligible activities include preservation training, preservation, and conservation.
- Maine State Archives: New Century Community Grant
- MA Board of Library Commissioners (MBLC) - MBLC Preservation Assessment Grants
- MA State Historical Records Advisory Board (SHRAB) - Veterans Heritage Grants
- MA Community Preservation Coalition Community Preservation Act (CPA)
READ THE NEDCC STORY about the successful CPA project for the town of Billerica, Massachusetts: "Under Construction: The Great Deed of Billerica - Conservation Treatment, Digitization, and Rehousing." And from the MA Community Preservation Coalition.
- Mass Humanities
- MA Cultural Council
- Essex Heritage Partnership Grant Program
- MN Historical Society Legacy Grants
- MT State Library - Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA)
The Montana State Library has $10,000 in Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds available for adding special collections to the Montana Memory Project (MMP.)
- NH Department of Cultural Resources - NH State Library - Conservation License Plate Grant Program (Mooseplate Grants)
- New Jersey Historical Commission Project Grants
- NY State Arts Council/ Greater Hudson Heritage Network - Conservation Treatment Grant Program
- NY State Archives Documentary Heritage Program (DHP) supports projects sponsored by not-for-profit archives, libraries, historical societies, and similar institutions within New York State, and from consortia or cooperating groups of such agencies.
- NY State Archives Local Government Records Management Improvement Fund (LGRMIF) supports records management and archives-related projects in local governments of all types and sizes throughout New York. In addition to the competitive grants program, the LGRMIF also supports disaster recovery grants.
- NY State Archives Larry J. Hackman Research Residency Program supports doctoral candidates, those at the postdoctoral level, and other scholars/researchers with awards for advanced research in New York State history, government, or public policy. The Residency Program is made possible by and administered by the Archives Partnership Trust.
- NY State Library - The New York State Program for the Conservation and Preservation of Library Research Materials Discretionary Grant Program
- NC Preservation Consortium - NC Preservation Grants
- OH Historical Records Advisory Board - Grants for Ohio Repositories
Awards are given to museums conducting projects for the care and management of heritage collections.
- PA Historical and Museum Commission
- RI Foundation - Joseph O’Neill Ott Fund
Grants generally range from $250 to $750 and support direct conservation efforts for paper-based documents, photographs, and other two-dimensional historical evidence (excluding artwork).
- RIHRAB Professional Development Support Funds
In 2022 the RI Historical Records Advisory Board, with continued support from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), will be awarding limited funding, with a maximum of $1,000 per person, to individuals working and volunteering in Rhode Island institutions seeking professional development in archives. Funds would cover NEDCC registration fees for current training programs.
- SHRAB Regrant Program: Historical Records Regrant Program
- Utah Division of Archives and Records Services
- Virginia Association of Museums, Virginia Top 10 Endangered Artifacts
- Library of Virginia, Circuit Court Records Grant Program
- Benton County Washington - Historic Preservation Grant Program
- WV Department of Arts, Culture & History
- State Historical Records Advisory Board Grants
OTHER STATE FUNDING SOURCES
- Historic New England - Community Preservation Grants
- Presbyterian Historical Society – Preservation Grants for Churches
Deadline: Dec 31 yearly