Granting agencies vary by state, but grant programs for preservation and conservation initiatives are frequently managed by the state library, archives, Department of Education, or Department of Cultural Resources. Regional organizations (such as local heritage networks) may also also provide this funding, as well as foundations across the country. Below is a helpful list of funding organizations. Be sure to check their grant deadlines.
NEDCC can help plan and carry out these grant-funded activities, and can offer advice on planning proposals.
On this page - go to:
- California Natural Resources Agency - California Museum Grant Program
- Connecticut State Library - Historic Documents Preservation Grant Program
Deadline: Cycle 1 (April 30, 2022) OR Cycle 2 (Sept 30, 2022)
Eligible activities include preservation assessments, reformatting, or conservation.
- GA Archives - Historical Records Preservation Grant
- IL State Archives - Historical Records Grant Program
- Historical Resource Development Grant
Deadline: May 2, 2022
Eligible activities include preservation training, preservation, and conservation.
- MA Board of Library Commissioners (MBLC) - MBLC Preservation Assessment Grants
- MBLC/ LSTA Town-wide Preservation Assessment and Collection Identification
- MA State Historical Records Advisory Board (SHRAB) - NHPRC Re-Granting Program FY2021
- Preservation Grants for Massachusetts Veterans Collections, Monuments, and Memorials from the Secretary of the Commonwealth William Francis Galvin and the Massachusetts State Historical Records Advisory Board (SHRAB).
- MA State Historical Records Advisory Board (SHRAB) - Veterans Heritage Grants
READ THE NEDCC STORY about the successful CPA project for the town of Billerica, Massachusetts: "Under Construction: The Great Deed of Billerica - Conservation Treatment, Digitization, and Rehousing." And from the MA Community Preservation Coalition.
- MT State Library - Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA)
The Montana State Library has $10,000 in Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds available for adding special collections to the Montana Memory Project (MMP.)
- NH Department of Cultural Resources - NH State Library - Conservation License Plate Grant Program (Mooseplate Grants)
- NY State Arts Council/ Greater Hudson Heritage Network - Conservation Treatment Grant Program
Deadline: June 1, 2022
A partnership of the New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA) and Greater Hudson Heritage Network (GHHN) that provides support for treatment procedures by professional conservators
to aid in stabilizing and preserving objects in collections of museums, historical, and cultural organizations in New York State. The Robert David Lion Gardiner Foundation has provided additional dedicated support for conservation treatment projects on Long Island and New York City.
- NC Preservation Consortium - NC Preservation Grants
- OH Historical Records Advisory Board - Grants for Ohio Repositories
- Oregon Museum Grant
Deadline: April 13, 2022
Awards are given to museums conducting projects for the care and management of heritage collections.
- RI Foundation - Joseph O’Neill Ott Fund
Deadline: June 3, 2022
Grants generally range from $250 to $750 and support direct conservation efforts for paper-based documents, photographs, and other two-dimensional historical evidence (excluding artwork).
- RIHRAB Professional Development Support Funds
Deadline: Apply for funding anytime between July-December 2022
In 2022 the RI Historical Records Advisory Board, with continued support from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), will be awarding limited funding, with a maximum of $1,000 per person, to individuals working and volunteering in Rhode Island institutions seeking professional development in archives. Funds would cover NEDCC registration fees for current training programs.
- Letter of Intent due (required): April 15, 2022
- Draft Proposal due (optional): April 20, 2022
- Final Applications due: May 31, 2022
- Benton County Washington - Historic Preservation Grant Program