FUNDAMENTALS OF CREATING AND MANAGING DIGITAL COLLECTIONS
Digital Directions was held on February 1-3, 2022. Join the NEDCC E-News List to be notified when the next Digital Directions is announced.
Code of Conduct
Join us for a comprehensive overview of digital preservation, presented by information professionals with deep experience in the preservation of cultural heritage materials. During three half-days of live, interactive, online training, you will learn about good practices and practical strategies for creating and managing digital collections, and you’ll gain confidence in decision-making for the preservation of your digital assets.
- standards and specifications for both digitization and digital preservation
- selection for digitization
- special considerations for audiovisual and born-digital materials
- digital storage
- working with collaborative or consortial organizations
The program will introduce you to free resources and tools you can use for digital preservation, and you’ll have the opportunity to connect via small group discussions with peers who face similar challenges. Participants will develop a clearer understanding of the next steps they should take to strengthen their organization’s digital preservation program.
What to Expect
- The number of registrants for Digital Directions is limited to 125 to ensure that each participant has opportunities to interact with both faculty and attendees.
- Each livestreamed presentation is 45-60 minutes and is followed by 15-30 minutes of audio/video-enabled Q&A with the presenter.
- Registrants will have access to all presentation sessions and to selected breakout groups during the conference as well as on-demand access for one month afterward.
- Digital Directions faculty members and NEDCC staff members will serve as facilitators for breakout sessions.
- See the Logistics page for more information about conference access.
Who Should Attend?
Are you just getting started in digitization and digital preservation? Trying to bring several digital projects together into a cohesive digital preservation program? Or are you well into a digital collections project and need a refresher on the latest standards and best practices?
The Digital Directions conference is geared toward professionals working with digital collections at archives, libraries, museums, historical organizations, government agencies, corporate archives, and other organizations that steward digital collections. Students are also welcome, and a discounted registration rate is available. Participants who are eligible Certified Archivists can earn 6 Archival Recertification Credits (ARCs) through the Academy of Certified Archivists for this program.
Participant Comments from the February 2022 Digital Directions:
- We're starting our digital preservation workflows from scratch, and this conference was an amazing collection of resources and information to help us make informed decisions for our institution.
- While I consider myself a relative beginner in managing digital assets, I found the content to be accessible and informative. It was helpful hearing the challenges other people were willing to share, and I appreciate hearing more about the infrastructure of this field.
- The conference has been a great platform to get information, to exchange information and to find opportunities to collaborate and discuss problems and/or ideas.
- Digital Directions [is] an easier-to-access, well-priced, and well-informed conference [compared to] some other learning opportunities out there. It was amazing!
TO LEARN MORE about the Digital Directions program, view the Agenda from February 2022.
JOIN the NEDCC E-News List to receive updates on the conference.