This section gives examples of more detailed activities to improve intellectual control over your collections by clarifying your mission and collecting policy. These activities will require additional time, research, and information-gathering on your part, and are completely optional.
- Write a draft mission statement for the historical collection.
- Make a list of materials that need to be evaluated for possible deaccessioning.
- Contact other local repositories to determine whether they hold related collections.
- Group together materials created by the same individual, family, or organization into an archival collection.
- Create an initial inventory of collections with location information.
- Take a course or visit a website that teaches archival cataloging.
Copyright© 2015 Northeast Document Conservation Center
Northeast Document Conservation Center
100 Brickstone Square
Andover, MA 01810